Monday, November 21, 2005

The Ones That Got Away: Michael Weston

Confusion

No, it won't make the Top 100, but I still think it's the coolest game out there. Especially since a friend made me a home-made set and I don't have to rely on Frank B. or Craig B. to bring a copy.

Way too obscure for any chance, on top of being a niche game itself. Most people aren't willing to tax the logic corner of their brain enough for this beauty. Other than being an avowed deduction game freak, I appreciate that this game isn't actually won just by deducing the answers. Deduction is just a tool to get you to a point where you think you can win the actual soccer-like movement on the board.

Meuterer

A very underrated game just because it's hard to learn from the rules.

Not sure why more people don't like this one. It packs a lot of game into a very little box. Sure the mechanisms are about as non-intuitive as it gets, but beyond that is a very entertaining game of second guessing and smart hand management. Definitely my favorite of the "secretly choose a role" games out there.

Sleuth

The finest example of a pure deduction game.

Having since played Larry Levy's "Deduce or Die", Sleuth is no longer my favorite for those rare times when I can get fellow deduction nuts together. Still a great game that deserves more table time. Still, it was great to see one deduction game make it on the list.

Das Motorsportspiel

Yeah, another dark horse. You know the timer is set for the right limit when you can feel the adrenaline rushing as you have to rush to get your move done in time.

Never had a chance, but still the best racing game out there. Unlike Formula De and all the other race games that have been done, this is the only one to really feel like a race. The consolation prize is that at least Formula De DIDN'T make the list either.

Klunker

There's more here than most people give it credit for. For such a simple set collection game, there's a lot of subtlety.

I'm sure Dave Vander Ark listed this one too, but we may be the only ones. Repeated plays just continue to show that smart play can mitigate the luck of the draw, at least to the same extent as any other card-based game we typically play. Not a Top 10 game by any stretch, but I think it's at least as good as anything in the bottom 25.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael I am suprised! What about Die Handler?

Terry Bailey Sr.

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the game, though it's been a while since I've played it. But not one of my top 10. And of course my Top 10 would look quite different today.

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home