Monday, December 19, 2005

Mark's #17: Monopoly

It's moments like this when I realize that I'm not in the "mainstream" of Euro gamers. I like Monopoly - and not just because of fond memories from childhood playing with my grandma. It's a game with lots of ups & downs, some very important economic decisions, and WHEN PLAYED BY THE CORRECT RULES lasts about 2-2.5 hours. (If you're wondering what those rules mistakes are, you can check out Game Central Station's Monopoly page.)

Now, I'm guessing that some of you will feel compelled to blast Monopoly in the comments section - go right ahead. But here's a few ground rules:
  1. You can't complain about it being popular. Under that (suspect) criteria, sex would also be a bad idea.
  2. You can't complain about the fact that people play it wrong. That would be like complaining that cars are stupid because some people run red lights.
  3. You can't complain about the multiple versions for sale. Reference Carcassonne, Ticket To Ride, Settlers of Catan, Warhammer 40K, Magic: the Gathering (of lots of $ for Richard Garfield), and so on...

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course, not only do you need the correct rules, but you need players who don't make outrageous trades with a certain player who shall remain nameless (but whose initials are MJ and whose last name is not Johnson)... B^)

3:00 PM  
Blogger Chris Lohroff said...

Actually, "sex" would qualify as a bad idea under all three of your criteria... not just the first one.

For what it's worth, we routinely played Monopoly by the published rules in 90 minutes... usually less. It was indeed great fun and you are correct in stated that it unfairly gets a bad rap among the Euro games crowd.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Mark (aka pastor guy) said...

Joe,

I'd say this sounds like sour grapes, but in this case you're absolutely right. Not my fault our opponent had a brain fart. :-)

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I didn't mind, save for the fact that it made the conclusion inevitable long before the game was over.

But it did make me realize that Monopoly does meet one of my requirements for a game - it's possible to play poorly. (I strongly tend to prefer games that also offer the chance to play well - which Monopoly also does - but "games" that don't offer enough choices to play them poorly really bug me.)

Joe (for whom Monopoly would place around 1000th)

12:44 PM  
Blogger Bekah said...

Ah monopoly, now this I do love playing, especially with my brother who collects real themed monopoly games (not the annoying -opolies that everyone else keeps selling)We even found a bass fishing themed one at a garage sale for him a few years back. I love the LOTR one which has a traveling ring to add a fun twist.

peace out.

7:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was suggested by someone else to play over the christmas holiday. I said fine, if we play by the rules. "What do you mean?"
"I mean free parking is free parking." They agreed and I grudingly went along with the spirit of the moment.
So anyway the game played in about 3 1/2 hours and everyone (including me) came away saying that they really liked it that way. Play by the rules of the game and there's a game in there... who'd a thunk?
No this still isn't the best game in the world, but i'd give it about a 7 out of 10.

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home