Sunday, November 06, 2005

#70: Scrabble

#70, Scrabble, is the Mr. Miyaki of word games... your appreciation for this classic might be enhanced by reading the book Word Freak, a very interesting peek inside theworld of competitive Scrabble... or the documentary film, Word Wars. Or just go & play the game.

Pat Korner: "Not a designer game, but far and away the game in my collection that gets played the most. No other word game has, for me, come close to matching Scrabble's elegant perfection. Luck, skill, knowledge, all melded together into a mix that's greater than the sum of its parts. Scrabble also has tremendous emotional impact with me, as it was my father's favourite game."

2 Comments:

Blogger huzonfirst said...

I love word games, but have always disliked Scrabble (even when it was the only word game I knew). The gameplay (with the double/triple letter/word spaces)seems very artificial to me and it rewards highly obscure word knowledge, rather than a good vocabulary. Just one of my personal gaming quirks.

9:43 AM  
Blogger David Fair said...

I really enjoy Scrabble, but find it difficult to enjoy other than as a 2 player game, and my favorite partner refuses to play anymore. :(

Oh, and it is Miyagi.

8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home