Friday, March 24, 2006

Mark's #1: The Settlers of Catan

It's become way too cool to crack on The Settlers of Catan... which, frankly, is just stupid. You can complain about the vagaries of the 2d6 distribution, or the plethora of expansions, or the fact that many groups haven't learned a new game since they discovered Settlers back in the late 90's. But that doesn't dismiss what a work of genius Klaus Teuber created.

Think about it - good game play requires more than simply a mastery of The Arcane Secrets Of Initial Placement; you also have to be able to trade (or not trade) wisely. Games are decided NOT by the dice (despite many people complaining otherwise)... they are decided by playing ALL aspects of the game well. Of course, there's the flexibility of the hex-based board system which keeps the game fresh as well.


Can you tell I like it... a little bit?!

Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

After nearly ten years of playing eurogames, this design is still #1 for me as being the most played in a friendly or family setting, my preferred gaming environment.

Nick

1:24 PM  
Blogger High Power Rocketry said...

Heh eurogames? Give me quake 3 any day :)

Bono is Brian Peppers!
Cant play Quake 3

11:20 AM  
Blogger Acción por el Planeta said...

Hello, about the game, I got it because my mom went to Germany back in the 90s, and it was very popular over there. We had some problems with the translation of the rules, but actually we love it. You have to be pretty smart to play all the parts and yes, you only win if you make clever moves. We also play another games too, and now we are trying to decide if we like this card based scrabble, have you see it?

7:13 AM  
Blogger Mark (aka pastor guy) said...

accion,

Not sure what game you're referring to "card based Scrabble" but I rather like a new card game out called Parlay which combines a word game & poker.

alex,

You can have Quakes 1, 2, & 3. I'll keep my eurogames. :-)

8:44 AM  
Blogger Veronica said...

This game is one of the coolest ever created despite the fact that I don't think I've ever won it against my family. Plus it's the one game that my whole family will play.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Matt Butcher said...

How much do these games cost? Where do you get them?

5:57 PM  
Blogger Empire Board Games said...

I bought settlers of catan for $20 from Empire Board Games a few weeks ago.

One of the greatest game purchases of my life!!!! Board Games For the Win!!! I LOVE TO PLAY GAMES SOOOOOO MUCH!@#!@#!@

5:33 PM  
Blogger Mark (aka pastor guy) said...

Empire:

While I appreciate the traffic here, I think it's important to point out that you ("Empire") bought your copy of SoC from you ("Empire Board Games") - which doesn't sound like a very sound economic model... sorta like trading with yourself in Settlers.

What it does sound like is trolling for customers with false advertising - I'll let this one slide but don't do it again.

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:58 PM  
Anonymous game san jose said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:21 AM  
Anonymous excellent game said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home