Wednesday, November 09, 2005

#33: Torres

This game of castle-building is the culmination of Kramer's action point designs - cleaner, faster, and rife with opportunities for brilliant play. It's being republished with new artwork - personally, I'm [Mark] fond of the odd cut-n-paste design of the original edition. Torres - #33 on The One Hundred.

Nick Danger: "Torres played with the standard rules is a good game. When played with the advanced rules the game is elevated to the status of greatness and can be a hard fought battle of wits. Plus it has cool bits!"

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For a game that ranks so highly, I've always been amazed at how seldom I see it being played. Obviously a lot of this has to do with the biases of my particular game groups. But even when I'm at larger gatherings, I don't see people playing Torres. I can't even remember the last time I saw someone playing Torres.

Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just a fluke? I mention it mostly because the pattern reflects my own attitude toward the game. I respect Torres, rate it highly, yet almost never attempt to play it.

Another point about Torres is that I've always thought it was the oddest choice in the history of the Spiel des Jahres award. Sure, I like it more than I like your average SdJ winner, but it just seems like a horrible match for the general family audience that the SdJ typically targets. Although this won just a few years ago, a game like Torres could never win the SdJ these days.

8:50 AM  
Blogger David Fair said...

I agree Josh. I never see it played, and in fact, I keep trying (in vain) to play it. I own it, I take it to gaming events with me, but no one ever seems to want to play. I have no idea why that is.

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this game -- I think it's interesting and kind of cool. And it has gone over like a lead balloon when I've played it or even suggested it. I think it's because it is so abstract. Too bad: it has some interesting mechanics.

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home