Monday, November 07, 2005

#56: Diplomacy

With players writing movement orders and negotiating peace treaties & demilitarized zones in pre-WWI Europe, Diplomacy manages to capture the flavor of international politics. It's a VERY long game - whose designers never intended to be played to the bitter end!

Ronald Hoekstra: "It has been on the top of my list for many years now."

Larry Levy: "In my opinion, the greatest game creation of the first 70 yearsof the twentieth century. A lovely, supremely elegant design, which yields interesting tactical problems, as well as providing the framework for players to use their most subtle negotiation skills. The downsides are it takes all day, is mentally and emotionally exhausting (but in a good way),and requires seven players. But even with all that, there's nothing quite like a good game of Diplomacy."

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is in my TOP 2 GAMES I WANT TO PLAY AT LEAST ONCE BEFORE I DIE.

Civilization is the other.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Stephen said...

That last comment was by me, btw.

Stephen Glenn

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home