Sunday, November 06, 2005

#61: Stephensons' Rocket

Reiner Knizia's game of building the first rail lines in England was mistakenly nominated for an Origins award for Best Science Fiction Game... but it's actually a very tricky economic game. How many games is this guy going to place on The One Hundred?! Anyhoo, here's Stephensons' Rocket at #61.

Greg Aleknevicus: "An overlooked Knizia, I consider it his masterpiece. No random factors beyond seating order and yet each playing has its own flavour. The scope for strategy and tactics is subtle, yet deep. It does reward a true understanding of how everything meshes together so it improves greatly with experience."

Larry Levy: "Superb no-luck building game that truly doesn't get enough attention or game time. The use of shares for vetoes is one of my favorite mechanisms and is implemented brilliantly here. Intense, absorbing gameplay. In my opinion, it's one of Knizia's better jobs of matching mechanics to theme."

picture from Unity Games

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely agree! Every time I play Stephenson's Rocket, I feel I'm just scratching the surface of the strategy in this great game. This is a game I wish I played much more often.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

This game's biggest problem is that it is like a fine wine. If you don't know how to appreciate it (and I may fall in that category) you are left wondering why you spent more than $20 on the bottle.

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home