Sunday, November 06, 2005

#63: San Marco

Taking the area majority game into new arenas, this Alan Moon entry has devotees who believe it's best with 3 or best with 4. The central mechanism is the crowning glory of San Marco - one player divides the cards, while the other players choose which pile to take. The dividing player gets the leftover pile. Simple, eh? And yet wildly engaging.

Ronald Hoekstra: "I like the decisions you have to make when splitting the cards."

picture from Board Game Geek

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I play with both 3 and 4, I have to say that this is a fantastic three player game. With four players, there is a definite luck factor that plays out. With three, the luck is eliminated and the central "pie" mechanism shines.

9:36 AM  
Blogger huzonfirst said...

Count me in the "prefer with four" camp (and there's still a good deal of luck in the 3-player game), but I also agree this is one of the better 3-player games around. Either way, this is a wonderful design (love the bridges!) based around one of the more inspired and distinctive design mechanics ever (the pie dividing rule).

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm of the "only with three" camp, and mainly because I think the luck of the draw in four player isn't balanced (one pair of players can get a significantly better set of cards than the other pair). I also think the downtime in 4-player is more than I want to put up with.

Anyway, definitely a great 3-player game!

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home