Friday, November 04, 2005

#81: Spades

According to pagat.com, Spades was invented in the US in the 1930s. Lacking the depth of Bridge, it's still one of the most popular partner-based card games today due to its simplicity of play. At #81 in the countdown, it proves it's more than just a "let's play cards on Friday night in the dorm cuz none of us have girlfriends" kind of game.[Mark: Oh, yeah... sorry. Channeling my freshman year of college there...]

Ben Baldanza: "Best classic game ever."

Stephen Glenn: "I could never get into Bridge because of its convoluted scoring and complicated bidding conventions. The fact that it's played with a partner practically obliges one to devote some study to the game. That not interesting me in the slightest, I find Spades to be a fun, exciting substitute."

3 Comments:

Blogger Bert said...

I think it's awesome that Spades made the list. This was THE game for me for the longest time - middle school and high school years. But it's tough to find a good Spades partner these days.

10:17 AM  
Blogger Stephen said...

Can you guys just ignore my comments? I'm realizing they make absolutely NO sense.

Spades good.

There. Those are my updated comments.

10:54 AM  
Blogger David Fair said...

Urrghh. Spades good. Fire Bad. Stephen smart. Urrghh.

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home