Thursday, November 10, 2005

#26: Civilization

Civilization is an "old school" game with a jaw-droppingly long playing time... but still a classic design that sucks players in with its charms. You need to play this at least once in your lifetime. (Not to be confused, of course, with Sid Meier's computer game or the board game based on the computer game.)

Joe Huber: "With or without the advanced rules. Unlike most, I don't care. An epic game, which is still as much fun to play as it ever was."

Mark Edwards: "If I only had the time. It's dropped quite a bit in recent years as I've realized that it's often a whinefest, but I still love the trading and logistics involved. I *will* figure out how to remove the whining!"

Joe Rushanan: "Still the best "build real empires" game. I like the trading. I am not sure if there is enough variety in card buying."

picture from Wikipedia

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I might have ranked this one among my favorites if there were such a thing as a Somewhat Advanced Civilization.

Advanced Civilization did two things to the game that I really liked. First of all, it streamlined the trading phase making it more exciting, less cumbersome, and generally better. The trading is for me the crux of the game, so this is a great improvement.

Secondly, Advanced Civilization removed the crippling AST barrier that made it all but impossible to win with Egypt and Babylon. Unfortunately, the result was that it was all too easy to win with these two empires, and the responsibility lies with the players to keep them in check (in Advanced Civ).

So why am I not satisfied with Advanced Civilization? Well, there are just way too many tech advances to buy. This involves a ton of much number crunching, and I dislike the way that your purchase decisions are often solely based on the most efficient progression rather than which advances will aid your empire the most. More accounting and less strategy in the purchase phase is not what I was looking for.

So someone, please give me a Somewhat Advanced Civilization!

8:45 AM  
Blogger Stephen said...

Folks may have voted for it based on positive recollections.

I've never played it, but I want to soooooo badly. I've been trying to set up an appointment with my group to play it soon.

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't put Civilization (or Advanced, whichever) anywhere near #26 in terms of my current favorites for the reasons Chris indicates. I haven't played it for years. I'd probably put it near the end of my personal top 100 if I had such a thing.

It all depends on what exactly I'm ranking:

100 games I'm most likely to play next year? No, Civ wouldn't make the list.

100 "favorite" games? Like I said, probably yes, but near the end.

100 "great classic important innovative" games? Yes, it deserves a high spot on such a list in my opinion.

This list asked the second question. So while #26 seems high, I think a game can be considered a favorite even if it's only played very rarely. I'm not surprised it made some gamers' top 15.

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home