Thursday, November 10, 2005

#30: Modern Art

Dr. Knizia's classic auction game - it's not simply about winning the right auctions but also correctly valuing the paintings. One of the first German "gamer" games to be reprinted in English (by Mayfair), Modern Art just received a new printing this year.

Sheila Davis: "Still my favorite of the auction games. Since I don't have perfect memory, the hidden scoring adds an exciting element."

Mark Edwards: "This game will hurt your head if you really think about what's going on, but oh what a delightful time you'll have either way."

Andrea Meyer: "Pure auctioning and bidding - great game and an all time favourite. I love how it plays with intuition, how angry you can get if another player makes what you consider a bad move, how the values add up during the several rounds."

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of the classic Knizia big-box auction games from the 90's (Modern Art, Medici, Ra, and Traumfabrik), we've now seen Traumfabrik and Modern Art in the top 50, and I'm sure we'll see Ra higher up on the list. That means that Medici is either the favorite of the four or missed the list entirely. Either way, I'm surprised.

I would probably rate Medici a close fourth among those four, but I thought it would make the list. It may still appear, but I wouldn't have expected it to beat out Modern Art. There are plenty of gamers, of course, who prefer Medici to Modern Art, but I've always thought of that as the minority view.

What do the rest of you think. Will we see Medici on the list?

8:22 AM  
Blogger huzonfirst said...

We might not, Josh. MA, Ra, and Traum all have significant groups who LOVE them, but while most gamers probably hold Medici in high esteem, it's very possible that not many rank it in their Top 15. Personally, I consider it and Traumfabrik as my favorite Knizia auction games (with maybe a slight edge toward Traum); I prefer both to Modern Art and strongly prefer both to Ra.

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Larry, that's a good point. Modern Art is often loved and sometimes reviled, but I don't know many people whose views on Medici run as sharply in either direction.

We probably won't see it. That does surprise me, though. Who would have thought that Res Publica would beat out Medici? Although as I noted in the Res Publica comments, I wonder how much of that has to do with Joe Huber's advocacy of Res Publica within a group that is more in-bred than a wider audience like BGG. With just 65 voters, one or two or three people can have a large impact on the results. See the comments for Age of Renaissance for an example.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Stephen said...

Of course, I'm not saying a word, but...

I am delighted that some folks are enjoying the anticipation of seeing games show up (or not) on the list.

That was my whole reason for doing it in the first place, and Mark has implemented it nicely.

By the way, I had to type in "zmdvnnwi" for my word verification. I had no idea that was a word and I'm hoping Kris Burm will use it for his next masterpiece.

5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home